The American people expect excellence and accountability from their government. Toward that end, the U.S. Congress passed the Inspector General (IG) Act of 1978 to ensure integrity and efficiency within the Federal government and its programs.
In accordance with the 1988 amendment to the Act, the NRC Office of the Inspector General (OIG) was established on April 15, 1989, as an independent and objective Office to conduct and supervise audits and conduct investigations relating to NRC's programs and operations. The purpose of OIG's audits and investigations is to prevent and detect fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement, and promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in NRC programs and operations. In addition, OIG reviews existing and proposed regulations, legislation, and directives, and provides comments, as appropriate, regarding any significant concerns.
The IG serves under the general supervision of the NRC Chairman but operates with personnel, contracting, and budget authority independent of that of the NRC. The OIG keeps the Chairman and the Congress fully and currently informed about problems, recommends corrective actions, and monitors NRC's progress in implementing such actions.
Pursuant to the Consolidated Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2014 (H.R. 3547), the Office of the Inspector General for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has been assigned to also serve as the DNFSB's Inspector General.
The NRC Office of the Inspector General has the following key elements and activities:
- Hotline: how to report suspected fraud, waste, and abuse
- Audit Program: description of OIG's audit program
- Investigation Program: description of OIG's investigation program
- Planning Documents: strategic plan, annual plan, performance report
- Semiannual Reports to Congress: semiannual report to Congress
- Governing Legislation: summaries and full text of key laws that govern OIG operations
- Careers: current vacancies in the Office of the Inspector General
See also the following document collections related to the inspector general:
- OIG Reports: Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
- OIG Reports: Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board (DNFSB)
For more information about Inspectors General in the Federal government, visit the IGnet.
To review the current inventory of OIG commercial activities developed in accordance with the FAIR Act of 1998, see the FAIR Act Inventory.